How To Renew or Replace a Security Guard or Private Investigator Licence
What do you need to know first?
All license renewals, are valid for 2 years only. After that you nee to re-apply for another license. In case if your license paper , card, is lost, damaged or stolen, you have to replace it right away.
You cannot work without a license card, it is too risky and can also lead to other charges, so please be very careful.
Some of the penalties are as follow:
- Police officers and Provincial Offences officers have the option of issuing tickets for certain violations under Part I of the Provincial Offences Act. A list of applicable offences and the associated fines is available online.
- A ticket may not be issued in every case. Offenders who receive tickets still have the option of fighting charges in court, and police officers still have the discretionary authority to require offenders to attend court.
- If a security guard or private investigator is convicted of an offence, the penalty is a fine of up to $25,000, imprisonment for up to one year, or both. For agencies and registered employers, the maximum fine is $250,000.
How to replace a card license, or how to renew it?
There are a few options how to do replace/renew your license:
Can request another license card by mail or just simple by browsing online the Service Ontario website. From there you can renew your license and check the status of your application within 2 business days, which is faster then other methods.
If you apply online, after the final process you will receive a temporally printable digital format license. This temporally license can be used until you will receive by mail your original license, printed on the plastic.
This is important to apply to renew your security guard licence at least 30 business days before your security licence will expires. This procedure it is important to ensure continuity of licensing.
In case if your security guard licence card is lost, damaged or stolen stolen you can apply to replace it in the short time possible to avoid any addtiional chargers. You cannot avoid working without security guard license and in case if this occur, that can lead to security guard charges.
If you change your address, or if you are convicted of a prescribed offence, you are obligate to notify the ministry, but not longer then five business days.
When should I apply to renew or replace my security guard license?
The best way to renew or replace your card is if you apply at least 30 days before your card will expire.
How to change names, address, criminal record on your security guard license?
- First you need to change your name legally under the Goverment Ontario service, called Change of Name Act ( click for details )
- You have assumed a name through a change in marital status.
How to find out what is my license status of a security guard or / and private investigator?
( check this website and enter the license number )
You’ll need a ServiceOntario account (opens a new browser window) to apply for a:
Security guard agency licence (opens a new browser window)
Private investigator agency licence (opens a new browser window)
Dual agency licence (opens a new browser window)